The Node.js Update #Week 40 of 2019. 4 October

Below you can find a collection of the most important Node.js updates, tutorials & announcements from this week - curated by RisingStack's Node.js Developers.

Latest Node.js Updates here: 10.16.3 LTS / 12.11.1 Current

First, let's start with "official" Node news:

Node 12.11.1 Current Release

• build: This release fixes a regression that prevented from building Node.js using the official source tarball
  • deps: Updated small-icu data to support "unit" style in the Intl.NumberFormat API

OpenJS Foundation welcomes first Incubating project: Node Version Manager (nvm)

nvm will be the first project to enter the OpenJS Foundation’s incubation process after the merger of the JS Foundation and the Node.js Foundation. nvm is the most common and widely used method to install Node.js, and the most common tool to manage multiple installed Node.js versions.

Update Now! Node.js 8 is Not Supported from 2020.

The Node.js 8.x Maintenance LTS cycle will expire on December 31, 2019 - which means that Node 8 won’t get any more updates, bug fixes or security patches. In this article, we’ll discuss how and why you should move to newer, feature-packed, still supported versions (like Node 12 - check out the new features here).

We’re also going to pinpoint issues you might face during the migration, and potential steps you can take to ensure that everything goes well.

V8 release v7.8

This post provides a preview of some of the highlights in anticipation of the release.

• Script streaming on preload
  • Faster object destructuring
  • Lazy source positions
  • Faster RegExp match failures
  • WebAssembly C/C++ API
  • Improved startup time

Awesome Node.js & JavaScript Tutorials:

16-Bit Virtual Machine in JavaScript 001

In this episode we begin implementing a 16-bit virtual machine from scratch in JavaScript. The concepts of computation are introduced, along with the basics of assembly language and machine code.

How to Learn Software Design and Architecture

Software Design and Architecture is pretty much it's own field of study within the realm of computing, like DevOps or UX Design. Here's a map describing the breadth of software design and architecture, from clean code to microkernels

Building a photo gallery app from scratch with Chakra UI

React is now one of the most battle-tested and mature front-end frameworks in the world, and Express.js is its counterpart among back-end/server frameworks. If you’re building an app today, you can’t pick a better duo than this. In this post, I will walk you through building a complete app using these two frameworks, plus Chakra UI for component styling.

Using HTTP/2 with Next.js & Express

Node.js introduced native HTTP/2 support through the http2 built-in package in its version 8 of July 2017 as an experimental feature, and as a stable one into Node.js 10 LTS.

React, Express, Node Js, and MongoDB (MERN Stack) microservices-based application deployment on Kubernetes

This article will help step by step on how we can deploy a basic microservices-based application having front-end → backend → database layer to the Kubernetes cluster as separate stand-alone entities and make them scalable.

An Unintentionally Comprehensive Introduction to GitHub Actions CI

We're currently approaching GitHub Actions v2 shipping publicly for everyone to use. I'm personally super excited about this because it means I don't need to configure an external service to run my CI – I can slap in some YAML, and I'm off with a cross-platform (!) CI system with multiple versions of Node.js installed.

Writing an RPC library in Node.js

In case you didn’t know, GraphQL and REST aren’t the only client-server interaction patterns in history. Yes, they are the most popular ones at the moment and with good reason! But at the beginning (especially then) one of the first ways developers started envisioning shared functionality between client and servers was using what they called Remote Procedure Call. In other words, they wanted to use remote code locally, and in the process hiding the complexities of the remote call.

8 New ES10 (ES2019) Features by Example

This is a list of (8) new ES features we will be covering here:

• Optional Catch Binding
  • Object.fromEntries
  • Array.flat
  • Array.flatMap
  • String#{trimStart,trimEnd}
  • Dynamic Import
  • globalThis object

Deploy Node Applications on AWS Elastic Beanstalk

This article is focused around deploying a simple web application to the AWS cloud platform. We will be deploying the application to Elastic Beanstalk.

Interesting JS & Node Threads:

Where can I learn about production ready, proper architecture best practices for nodejs servers?

What is your view on the nest.js framework?

I created a ORM using Redis, suitable for microservices

Optional chaining has landed on TypeScript master branch

Announcing Gatsby’s $15M Series A Funding Round

Like what you read?

Share / like the post, and come back next week! :)